09 September 2008

Oh yeah, I'm here to study...

So, class has started. We have a Sprachkurs from 2-5:15 everyday... first part focuses on Grammatik, second on Konversation (I'm not going to translate any of those because I think it's pretty easy to figure it out). Our teacher for the first class, Uschi (rhymes with Sushi) speaks to us like we're five years old and probably thinks we have the mental capacity of someone that age. The second part of class is better. I'm learning way cool shit like Dativ and Akkusativ Verbs and info about Freiburg. We don't have a whole lot of homework but some of it is stupid and frustrating. My class is pretty cool - Joanna, Becca and a bunch of other good people are in it with me. Andrew got in the advanced class, which seems pretty hard... I'm glad I'm too stupid to be in it.

Besides class, I've kind of just been hanging out. Right now I'm in the RioBar with Joanna, Andrew and Bob (yes, I've met someone named Bob, and no, he's not a middle-aged man). Tomorrow we have a lot of stuff going on - we're getting a historical tour of the city at 10, then we have class 2-5:15, then a fancy semi-formal reception from 6-8. And then of course, Mittwoch is Shot Night at StuSie bar. I'm really excited because last Wednesday was a lot of fun... basically just super cheap drinks and dancing and cool people. And I actually know people now, so it should be better... I'm trying to get all of the AYFers to come out.

No word on the internet situation yet. BreisNet (the company we're getting internet from) is only open on Wednesdays from 3-4 and Thursdays from 9-10 a.m.... I just love the Germans and their infrequent hours... hopefully I'll get it this week, although the only thing I really want it for is so I can Skype people.

I'm uploading some pictures of the first week to facebook right now... they're kind of horrible. The pictures of Basel are really pretty, and I have a couple good ones of Freiburg. I went for a run this morning around the Seepark that's really close to StuSie (where I live) and it was really pretty. There's a lake and some other cool stuff around, I think I will run there frequently. Basically, the whole place is beautiful.

Me and a bunch of the other students are hoping to find a way to go to Oktoberfest... it runs until October 5, and our finals for our Sprachkurs are on the 2nd, so I think we should just take off for Munich after that and spend a night or two in a park. As long as we find a couple of boys to come mit, I don't think it'll be a problem. I can't miss Oktoberfest when I'm in Germany for a year, can I?

Umm... I think everyone needs to come visit me. Right now. Seriously, this place is too good for none of you to experience.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

OMG. Go to Oktoberfest. And you can sleep im englischen Garten! I actually have, and it's pretty comfortable.