04 January 2009

Life is beautiful :)

I know overwhelming optimism can get old after a while, but I just can't help being extremely happy lately. This winter break was undoubtedly the best I've ever had. I am absolutely in love with Freiburg and everyone I know here.

One thing that I really like about my program is that, even though we all kind of have our own cliques (having 40 people on the program makes that kind of inevitable), we all really like each other. The mixture of personalities we have is perfect; I didn't think it was possible to absolutely adore such a large number of people. It makes living here so cool, because every time we go out with people who I don't hang out with quite as much it's always so much fun. And while I realize that hanging out mostly with Americans isn't going to do much for my language skills, I kind of don't care, because the Americans I know here are all so amazing, and since we're all from the midwest, there's a pretty decent chance we'll still see each other at least a few times after we go back to America.

And I know I always beg everyone to come visit me, but one of the main reasons why I wish all of my friends from home could come here is so they can meet all of the people I know here.

Due to the fact that I'm super cheap, I'm not usually such a big fan of the bars, but the last few nights out have been so much fun. Friday night we went to a bar downtown called Elpi and danced to music you'd never think you'd dance to at a bar for probably four or five hours. Last night I went out with a bunch of guys who live in StuSie (plus Beth and her sisters) to Feierling, a brewery/restaurant-y type place that's very warm and comfortable and German. They had a special dark beer available called Brunhilde, so I had two. It was wonderfully pleasant.

Today Kara roused me out of bed at 12:30 to go out to Schauinsland (the highest point in Freiburg) with her, Noah, Andrew and Becca. We ascended from the city on a cable car through snow-covered pine trees and low-hanging clouds to reach the top peak, which is over 1200 meters above sea level. There was snow and slippery winding paths and parents pulling their little children in sleds all over the place. We slid around and fell down and climbed up to a tower from the top of which you could see the Alps in the distance. To the west the sun was setting and there were peaks of a full-circle rainbow through the clouds. My hands and legs burned with the cold but it was so amazingly beautiful that it simply didn't matter.

I'm hoping to go to the bar - probably Schlappen because it's warm and cozy and has delicious Flammkuchen - tomorrow night for my birthday. It's weird to think that I'm turning 21. While all of the significance it would have for me if I was in America doesn't really matter here, it's still strange to think about how old I've gotten without even noticing.

No comments: