02 January 2009

Willkommen, 2009

Heute bin ich unglaublich fröhlich. Warum? Keine Ahnung. Alles ist wunderbar, alles ist schön. Ich glaube, dass ich das glücklichste Mädchen in dem Welt bin. Wirklich. :):):)

New Years was perhaps the most amazingly surreal night of my life. As planned, a bunch of friends came over around 9ish, and we all hung out and drank sangria and felt lovely. At most, there were around 15 people there, which was perfect. At 11:30 we headed into town on a completely packed Strassenbahn. When we got to Bertoldsbrunnen it was already insane - people everywhere, fireworks being lit off in the street. We followed the crowd towards Schlossberg and after a very fast, slippery and drunken climb were all relatively high. At some point we got separated, but I ended up with five friends at the top of a tower, standing with three of them on a raised platform that was probably not big enough for four people, and we stood huddled together watching fireworks go off next to us, above us, under us, in the trees and near the ground, in literally every direction. It was hazy and foggy and after midnight it started snowing, the kind of light snow that comes down in big flakes and reminds you of your childhood and everything that's right in the world. At midnight we sang happy birthday to Sam and some of the Germans around us joined in in their silly accents. Everything was perfect and beautiful and I think I will remember that night with remarkable fondness for the rest of my life.

I am so excited for the new year. I'm not much of one to get caught up in the feeling of renewal like some do at the beginning of the year, but I've just been in such a wonderful mood for the last few days that everything seems perfectly right right now. It's corny and cliche and I know it, but I feel like this new year has the potential to be one of the best of my life. Seven more months in Germany, my last fall semester at State living in a house with three people who I love. Being 21, being a senior, being happy. New experiences, new friends, new relationships, a new president who will actually start doing things right for our country. Right now, everything seems perfect. So please excuse me for my optimism; I can't help it.

My birthday is in three days. I miss my friends at home and I hope they know how much I love them.

No comments: